Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Thread Contributor: dosccie CCIE R&S v5 LAB Exam Takers Review 30 Jan 2017

Dear All,
I thank you all whole heartedly for your sharing and caring.
I have finally cleared this exam and that with your your support and help here had played a big big role.
Credit goes to all the nice human beings here and there who have shared the experience and taught me a lot.
It was a long and frustrating journey for me but I am glad it is over. This was my third attempt. First was years back, so not going count that in feedback.

First attempt

B11/Old TS, RP diag, New lab. Failed this in config.

Only ticket worth mentioning was MPLS where neighbor R4 or R6 was not activated on RR R3. So it was single taken in traces done from R12.

Further, in 2 or 3 of tickets I end up opening acl wide ( any any ).

So really nothing much to add but B11 covers it well.

Second attempt.
New TS. Old lab, DHCP snooping diag.

TS was covered in B13 ( with pictures of pages )  well. I would say go through those pages well and go through full troubleshooting approach mentioned in that pdf. It
helped a lot
Tkt1. There was vlan-access map sequence 1, so add modified acl under it. Check B13 already shared on these forum.
Rest of the tickets were same.
R10 MPLS ticket, did have routing loop so increased the distance under ospf distance command.
Last NAT ticket was not generating correct output on NAS. Tried couple of times this that, though the config already there was good. Could not resolve it but this router was having some issue i guess. May be some bug.

All it all after practicing a lot a discussing stuff with my colleagues it became clear that knowing faults only just helps but is not a part of entire picture and can easily panic you in lab if you do not have troubleshooting skills developed.

So please work on TS skills, think what have you just done to resolve it. What else could have you done better to get the fault info out of show commands and logs.

Lab will have many interfaces shut down and you will wonder why things are not coming up. So at-least check show ip int brief | ex unas to ensure that L3 interface are up and CDP for L2.

Develop a strategy of of you gonna approach at each section. If you do not have this one then you are likely not prepared. It is not about knowledge but speed of execution, testing and verifying at the same time.

Always check basics like if neighbors are up first ? ( IGP, BGP are up or not ? ) Are there any cost manipulation ? logging console turned on, check logs , check cost. Even if you have resolved the fault, give it a thought what else could you induce as a fault for your colleague.
Join discussion groups, learn as well as teach. Sea is quite big.

Once again, many thanks guys. God Bless you.

Regards.