• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HELP Traceroute to TCP ports insted of default UDP port 334344
Hi 

As we  know traceroute use upd port 33434 for traceroute. But in my current Network setup I have regularly connection to 3rd party vendor and they blocked traceroute on there firewall.  Only 443 port is allowed to specify source and destination, currently we are facing routing issue for that setup and we need to figure out the routing issue. To check routing issue I need to use traceroute but that is blocked on there firewall.  Is ther any way to change traceroute port to TCP 443 for traceroute instead of Udp 33434?

Yes its possible to use extended traceroute command to change traceroute protocol from Udp to TCP with any port number you want please follow the below process.

The first step to troubleshooting any connectivity issue is to understand the path that packets take on their way to the destination hostname or IP address.  To do this, we obtain a Traceroute.
A traceroute is gathered by sending a packet to a target host with a Time To Live increasing by 1 until the destination host is reached.
Note that not all 'hops' along a route will reply - this is normal and should not be interpreted as a bad route.
In the case of Perforce, Subversion and Git, the protocol used is TCP;  however, traditional traceroutes on Windows, Mac and Linux use the ICMP or UDP protocols.  This means that a traditional traceroute may not give the real picture as to what's happening with repository traffic.
For this reason, when working with our support team to troubleshoot a connectivity issue, we find it best to have a TCP Traceroute.

Windows
Because Windows cannot natively run TCP traceroute, you will need to install the WinPcap library and download the tracetcp utility.
Installing the WinPcap library:
  1. Download the WinPcap library

2. Double-click on the downloaded executable file open it and start installation

3. Click the Next button on the WinPcap Setup Wizard page:
[Image: C8Ke7Zj63YRzPhIO8IholIV3ocu33wVVxPclNEp-...1p7whusjln]
4. Review the License agreement and click I Agree
[Image: rEUywNEjCrGxOXK8N8PJQoqcjVUvniei5fLy4O4h...dx7JYUKpV6]
5. On the next page click Install
[Image: Lf2V4wEfGgwJKVv-6Xv97-6YBlrCGT01YjtHm3Jo...Lc4-yihoT9]
Next, we’ll need to download tracetcp
Once you’ve downloaded the archive, extract the files from the .zip archive and move them to the C:\WIndows\System32\ folder
[Image: O1g8gtNYyKeaZAgepsjEdFKjqbm0Y_ro0r4BC22k...7J0iimkVD4]
Running a TCP Traceroute on Windows (tracetcp):
  1. Open the Command Prompt (CMD) by pressing Win + R 

2. In the run dialog box, type cmd and click OK
[Image: WBu6sPObZIEPXs6hPXE9JiA0reOH1SnlrgSDo1so...ulP7N4FK4f]
3. Type the following command: 

Code:
tracetcp ****************** 

Where ******************  is replaced with your domain name, server name, or IP address

Examples: 
Code:
tracetcp <IP>:<Port>
tracetcp subversion.assembla.com:443
tracetcp 12.34.56.78:443

4. Press enter
You’re done!
Running a TCP Traceroute on Mac OS X
1. Press command + space to open the Spotlight search box, then type Terminal and press enter
2. Type the following command into Terminal:
Code:
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)" < /dev/null 2> /dev/null

Then press enter and wait for the command to finish
3. Type 

Code:
brew install tcptraceroute
  and wait for the installation to be finished
4. You’re done! Now you can use the TCP Traceroute command line tool. Just type 

Code:
sudo tcptraceroute ************
  and press enter
Note: *************** should be replaced with your domain name, server name, or IP address, followed by a space and then the destination port number.
Note: When executing this command, enter the password for the administrator account you are logged in as when prompted. 

Examples:
Code:
sudo tcptraceroute <IP> <Port>
sudo tcptraceroute subversion.assembla.com 443
sudo tcptraceroute 12.34.56.78 443

Running a TCP Traceroute on Linux
1. Open Terminal
2. Type 

Code:
sudo traceroute -T -p 1667 *************

Note: ************** should be replaced with your domain name, server name, or IP address, and 1667 should be replaced with the appropriate port
3. Press enter

Examples:
Code:
sudo traceroute -T -p <Port> <IP>
sudo traceroute -T -p 443 subversion.assembla.com
sudo traceroute -T -p 443 12.34.56.78
This post was last modified: 04-17-2020, 05:43 PM by RoutingNinja.

Thanks RoutingNinja for your valuable reply I highly appreciated your help

Once I go back to office I will try this process and let me know you the results.

Do we have similar options to send ping packets over TCP or UPD instead of ICMP Echo reply and Request??

Yes you can and ping to any TCP port using tcping tool

Below is example of tcping

Note: you have to download tcping tool in your system before run this command 

Quote:C:\ tcping www.Google.com

Probing 64.22.103.201:80/tcp - Port is open - time=25.739ms
Probing 64.22.103.201:80/tcp - Port is open - time=21.842ms
Probing 64.22.103.201:80/tcp - Port is open - time=27.701ms
Probing 64.22.103.201:80/tcp - Port is open - time=27.489ms

Ping statistics for 64.22.103.201:80
    4 probes sent.
    4 successful, 0 failed.
Approximate trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 21.842ms, Maximum = 27.701ms, Average = 25.693ms
This post was last modified: 04-17-2020, 07:08 PM by RoutingNinja.

Great discussion is happening hear...got some new info regarding ping and traceroute.

Thanks guys!!!